Friday, April 30, 2010

Calling all green thumbs!

Alright, so as many of you know, Jake and I (okay, well mostly Jake) have been working diligently for the last year or so to do some major updates to the inside of our house. We're nearing completion with all of that, and so, in true "Diva" fashion, I have started to squint my eyes at the exterior of our house and officially have a case of the, "I wants" for the outside. This includes (but is not limited to) landscaping. Yes, I realize landscaping can be very expensive. But, let me remind you, our yard is about the size of a weight watchers after dinner snack. So, we're not talking retaining walls and fountains here people. I am just looking to do something that'll spruce it up a bit and make it look like a happy family lives here (well, and that will appeal to young families starting out because as we all know, this is a starter home and we are doing these updates so that we can offload the heap to some unsuspecting fool... Kidding, sort of).

I'm looking for some advice on what we can do here and there to spice things up a bit and make the front and sides of the house look less baron (and, less gypsy-like). For those of you who are familiar w/the house, you're aware that the "jungle" that lives alongside the front walk is a conundrum of shit. I have convinced Jake to dig almost everything out of that heap, leaving us w/just a few shrubs there. Then we'll add some fresh mulch. So, I'm thinking something simple like that would flow well directly in front of the house, under the front window. Maybe some fresh mulch and cheap shrubs? Thoughts? The grass on the side of our house (South side) doesn't grow well at all. By mid-summer, it looks like we live in Arizona on that side of the house. Could we dig up that strip of grass alongside the house and do the same thing on the side that we do to the front? Suggestions??? Pleeease?

Yes, I could ask for my husband's advice on this. And I know he's got advice because the "green thumb" lies with his side of the fam. NOT MINE. But the poor guy is overloaded w/ other responsibilities and to-do's right now, so I thought maybe I could lock in a solid plan that I could present to him as, "Not too difficult to put in and low maintenance" (the low maintenance part is for me).

One thing to note - I am not a fan of hastas (or however the hell you spell that). They grow out of control and take over. I swear, the ones we have flip me off and try to trip me.

Okay, the "Here's what you should do..." forum is now open. Send your suggestions (and, free landscapers) my way!

4 comments:

The Schultz's said...

You're funny! Go and get a shrub that is okay in really high light and put that on the south side. Or tear it up and mulch that too and get a bush or something. I am a big believer in perrenials adding color and 'sprucing' a place up, but who am I.

Tee said...

I know a free landscaper (or one that will work for beer)! His name is BMeyer and he's even got his own business. I'll send you his e-mail and while he's down in your neck of the woods for two weeks this summer maybe you could get him to help you...just a thought though...you'll have to ask him... :-)

April said...

Thanks Jaimie and Tee Dawg! Great ideas Jaimie... maybe I'll submit those as formal requests to our free landscaper that Tee has just pimped out to us!!! :)

Anonymous said...

I say just concrete the whole thing, paint it green, and enjoy.