Monday, December 6, 2010

Christmas Tree Farm






Yesterday morning, The Sherman's made their annual trek to the Christmas tree farm in Hartford. This place has is a gold mine... They sell trees (obviously) but take you out into the field to pick your own tree. You can tag it and have some dudes come chop it down and bring it in for you, or, if you're married to a lumber jack, you can take one of their saws and have your husband chop it down, then trim the ever loving crap out of it right there in the field and drag it in. Then they mark your tree and tote you and a bunch of other frozen families back to the starting line for hot cocoa and maybe a glimpse at Santa. Layla was lucky enough to get to sit on the tractor with Santa because, believe it or not, daddy is friends with Santa!!

I was so happy to be able to get this tradition in this year. Things have been so busy with doctors appointments, recovery, and Jake's hunting schedule. I wasn't sure if we'd be able to go all out this year. Then, after I tried to get Layla out yesterday to at least make a snow ball with me and she had a meltdown because she didn't like the cold, I wondered if we should even go (okay, and also because I didn't want to freeze and was tired even though it was only like 10 a.m.). But Jake made it happen and it was great. We all came home and crashed for the afternoon. I'm still burned out from that extravaganza, but I'm happy we made it happen.

Off to Chicago to see the oncologist tomorrow. Wish us luck. We will have lots of information after the appointment and I'm hoping it's all helpful and good. Wells Fargo friends, I will be in touch as soon as possible to be sure no one is doing my job better than I did and hopefully give an update as to when I'll be able to come back! :)

7 comments:

Kelly said...

Awwwwe so fun! Glad you guys made it happen:) Good luck tomorrow

Jennifer Egan "J-Diamond" said...

Layla's rosy-red cheeks are adorable. I'm glad you are keeping your traditions going in spite of everything you are going through.
Love you love you love you.

The Schultz's said...

Too cute!! That is a really neat tradition on the Christmas tree. Did you make sure there were no squirrels burrowed in it?? :) I will be thinking of you today and can't wait to hear how everything went.

Z said...

Me too Apes! Thinking of you today! Anxious to hear how the visit went.

Ryan/Jes

Nanny April said...

Best of luck April! I hope everything goes well :)

Deanna said...

Nobody could ever do your job better than you! I can't tell you how many times I say, "I miss April!". Sometimes I even call people on your team to whine. We ALL MISS YOU! It's no fun here without you!!! ;)

The Christmas tree adventure looks really fun!

Sending prayers, hugs and smiles your way!

April said...

Awe, Deanna! You're too sweet! I miss you too!! I think of you often and hope that you're getting all the help you need w/ work (not that you need help, I'm just thinking about the things you call us about and wanna be sure someone's getting you your stuff)!! Although, our team is pretty top notch, so I know you're getting everything you need! Hope you have a fab Xmas!!!