Saturday, October 30, 2010

Home sweet home...

I got to come home from the hospital last night. Man, was that nice (and scary). The trip home seemed like it took a long time, probably because I was anxious and it was a bit uncomfortable, but Jake did a good job of making the drive smooth in good 'ol Ronda the Honda and we were home by about dinner time last night. Making my entrance was a bit overwhelming, as Layla was beyond excited and she jumped at me like a cheetah in the wild. I was able to get down to her level but explained to her that I couldn't pick her up for a while. She did okay with that and was very gentle me. What a sweetie pie. Hudson was beyond excited to see me as well and I had to give him the stiff arm a few times to be sure he didn't knock me over or head butt me.

One thing that took me a bit off guard was how exhausting simple things like moving around and talking were last night. I think I was home for maybe a full hour before I gave up and just went to bed. My head was pounding, I was dizzy and just plain beat. Jake had to spend a few good hours at the pharmacy at Walmart getting all my new meds filled (sounds like fun, right?) and by the time he was home all I wanted was drugs and sleep. Thank God for modern medicine. I was able to get a pretty good night sleep... Layla did wake up at about 2:00 a.m., running and screaming, "Mommy! Mommy! Don't leave me!" through the house. What a sweetie... she was scared I was going to have to leave and go back to the hospital. I put her back to bed and told her I was here to stay. Then, a few hours later I gave up and went to sleep on the couch because my Shrek has a cold and was sawing serious logs, keeping me up. My little Layla joined me on the couch at about 7:00 to snuggle.

I think one of the most precious things I'll remember out of this is how Layla has been through everything. She has grown up so much on the past week. Last night, all she wanted to do was take care of me. When I told her I had to go to bed to rest she told me, "Okay mommy. I will help you." She grabbed my hand, walked me to bed, put my blankets on me, shut off my light and told me before she shut the door, "If you need anything mommy, just call me." I'm serious. What a little love bug.

Today, I took a shower and got all the sick gook out of my hair. It was so great. Exhausting, but great. I feel a bit less like that freaky guy from Pet Cemetery now and more like a real person. I think I'll be whipping out some headbands soon.

Sounds like I'll have a few visitors this afternoon and then just layin' low. Hopefully I'll have the strength to take Layla trick or treating tomorrow. I might even borrow a wheel chair from a friend who works at the hospital. We'll see. ;)

Thanks again to everyone for everything... More updates to come. And a huge thank you post is on its way for my Wells Fargo family who spoiled the ever loving crap out of me with the most fantastic care package on earth. You guys rule.

xoxo,
No more lumpy dome

5 comments:

Christine said...

So glad you are home, April! I'm sure it is so great to be back with Layla, but yet hard for you at the same time. I must say I am shocked that you were able to go home two days after such a major surgery. I hope that is a sign of how well things went! You are one tough cookie. Thinking of you and hope to see you soon!

The Gritt's said...

Great news April. I am suprised at how soon you were able to go home after such a major surgery. Layla...it is amazing how they catch on to things and how super cute she was to take care of you. They are truely amazing, aren't they? Take care and please let us know if you need ANYTHING. Talk to you soon. The Gritt's

Lisa Kuderer said...

Glad you are home and doing well. Isn't the medical world amazing? Major surgery on your brain and 2 days later, you can be home! :) How cute of Layla?! Take it easy and rest. Thinking of you all. . .

Abe Degnan said...

Hey cousin. Glad you are doing ok. Wow lisa and I cannot believe you work up at the end of the surgery. That is scary in fact didn't they make a thriller movie based on that a few years ago? Our prayers are with you. My dad had our pastor say a prayer for you last Sunday at church and probably again today.

Anonymous said...

I wonder where Layla gets that? You guys have obviously done an amazing job with her!

g