Monday, October 25, 2010

Let's do this...

Oh my dear family and friends... There are so many of you that I've received phone calls, emails and texts from over the last few days that I haven't been able to get back to. For that, I apologize. Things have been just crazy with keeping things "normal" for Layla, making sure the house is set for us to leave, getting the in-laws prepped for Layla care, daycare drop off and routines, meals, etc., (not that we have to do all of that, but you know me, I'm neurotic and completely over the top when it comes to my little one. I even have a notebook filled with lists and tips for the in-laws, complete with tabs that stick out with hints like, "Daycare", "Phone #'s", "Misc").

I just finally put Layla to bed (and yes, it's almost 10:00 p.m.), finished packing for the hospital and have completed all my lists... I think. :) I'm tired and nervous but ready to get this show on the road. It's hard to believe that tomorrow will be the one week anniversary of when this all started. It feels like it's been going on for much longer than that. I hope to God I am able to sleep tonight. I'm thinking that won't be a problem though, because I'm dead tired from my day and the meds they have me on more or less make me feel like a walking zombie.

Jake's parents made us an amazing stew for dinner, and I totally over did it with my helpings. I can't eat after midnight tonight, and since the big surgery is on Wed, I am pretty sure I won't be seeing food again until sometime on Thursday. For those of you who know me, I love food a bit more than I should, so that whole fasting idea just straight up agitates me. Oh well, I'm sure there's a good reason for it. I know what I'll be dreaming about over the next few nights (mmm... pizza).

Tomorrow might turn out to be an emotional morning. I'm blessed with the luxury of being able to take Layla to daycare (with Jake, of course, because I can't drive) and see her off on the big Halloween party day. It will make me happy to see her trot off with excitement knowing her party is coming and that she'll be putting her bumble bee costume on sooner than later (thanks Teagan). But, I am sure the moment will be bitter-sweet, since I know that I won't see her for the next few days and the next time I do I'll likely have a sweet / scary scar on my dome and a lot less hair. I hope that doesn't scare her.

Now it's time for me to wind down, send out a few texts and get some shut eye. Again, thanks so much to everyone for the calls, thoughts, gifts, visits, and prayers.

Stay tuned for more updates on the blog. Hopefully Jake can remember our login info. ;)

xoxo,
Lumpy Dome

7 comments:

The Schultz's said...

Hey Girl! It was sooo fabulous seeing you guys yesterday and being able to give you a hug before the "process" begins today. You are such a STRONG woman, mother and wife, that I know you will get through this no problem. I can only imagine how scary it may be, but you have the most amazing support system in family and friends, and we will ALL help you get through this tough time.

I have my candle lit for you and will be praying for a smooth surgery today and tomorrow. I can't wait to get my butt up there to give you a huge squeeze when the surgery is complete.

Enjoy your body pillow and rest easy - this will all be history soon enough.

We love you April!

Jaimie (and Jason, mason & marley)

Carmen Olejnik said...

April - I will be thinking about you and continuing to pray for you. I'm glad you got all your lists and preparations done - it was probably good to be busy with that instead of focusing all of your time on the surgeries. Now it is your turn to rest and let everyone take care of you. Please let me know what I can do to help - Jaimie can let me know if it is easier.

When you are feeling up to it, I would love to go to dinner or lunch with you, Jaimie, Liz and Jennifer - you can have double/triple helpings of whatever you want to make up for the lack of meals during your hospital stay.

Try to rest and know how many, many people are praying for you.
Carmen

Lisa Kuderer said...

Hi April! Me and my family send all our good thoughts, prayers and love your way. April, I know behind your smiling face you are terrified and that is ok. It does not make you weak. You are a very strong person and from what I see you have a loving husband and beautiful daughter along with the 100's of family and friends who love you and are willing to help. Let them/us do so. I hope you know that there are many of us sending love and prayers your way. I feel blessed that both of my children had Jake as a teacher (they loved him!) and I feel blessed to have cared for Layla and met you also. :) Big hugs are being sent your way and I look forward to your updates and seeing your beautiful smiling face soon! Take care - we love you!

The Kuderers
Loren, Lisa, Jessica & Austin

P.S. I am NOT crying either! LOL

Lisa Etzel said...

April -hope your angio went well today! It's wonderful to hear about all your love and support. I am picturing Layla as a bumble bee - how adorable!! I'm sure you will be beautiful with your new haircut - if anyone can pull it off you can! Thinking about you and sending special prayers your way - you know I have a special connection with the big man via my little angel - "Jenna prayers" always work!

Thinking of you - Lisa, Ron, Braden and Jackson

Unknown said...

Sup Lumps..

I apologize, I didn't know anything about this until I started doing a little more FB investigating...I know we've been out of touch for some time and clearly have Linds and I, but you're no doubt still like a family member to me. So I just wanted to add my part; this will be a piece of cake Apes. Out of all people I've looked up to in my life, you're by far one of the strongest. Soooooo....I agree, "you got this!" Take it easy and take the help people offer. Good people DESERVE good friends. You'd do the same for them, I know it.

Unknown said...

Sup Lumps..

I apologize, I didn't know anything about this until I started doing a little more FB investigating...I know we've been out of touch for some time and clearly have Linds and I, but you're no doubt still like a family member to me. So I just wanted to add my part; this will be a piece of cake Apes. Out of all people I've looked up to in my life, you're by far one of the strongest. Soooooo....I agree, "you got this!" Take it easy and take the help people offer. Good people DESERVE good friends. You'd do the same for them, I know it.

Z said...

It's not a toomah - (I realize the high level of cheesy, but whatever)

It didn't stand a chance. Get some rest Apes!