Sunday, October 24, 2010

The unexpected...

I'm hoping that there won't be any of you who are finding out about how the Sherman house was turned upside down last week for the first time via this blog entry. I've been trying my hardest to get in touch with all our family and friends, but it's been pretty challenging because we're so blessed with such an amazing network of people who love us so much and are calling and emailing with questions and concerned thoughts. If this is the first time you're getting wind of this, I apologize. Please feel free to post your thoughts, comments, etc., to our blog and / or email either Jake or I whenever you'd like to reach out: apriljsherman@gmail.com or jacobqsherman@gmail.com. Our cell numbers: April - 414.248.1775, Jake - 414.248.1774. The good news is, although this is all very scary, serious and unexpected, my prognosis (as unbelievable as it may sound) is good. I'm walking and talking, which is a true blessing. I'm told that once I'm through all that's coming in the next few weeks, I'll be on my way to a full recovery. Okay, now I'll get on with it...

On Tuesday of last week, I fainted while getting ready for work. Who knows why, but after regrouping, I continued on with my day and went to work (what? I needed to keep up the routine at least for Layla and get her off to daycare and jet out for my 9:00 meeting). ;) I did make an appointment with my doctor for that morning at 11:15, however. At the appointment, they ran some blood tests and did a C.T. scan. When my doctor called with the results, she said that my blood tests all came back looking good, but that the C.T. showed some swelling on the right, front of my brain. She immediately scheduled me to come back to the hospital for an MRI. A few hours later, the results of my MRI were in, and showed that I have an Atypical Meningioma (most likely, a slow-growing, benign tumor). In fact, the radiologist that reviewed my MRI results told my doctor that judging by its size and shape (1.5 inches and shaped like a small, chocolate Easter egg... my description, not the doctor's), his recommendation was for me to continue on with life as usual and come back in 3 months for another MRI to see whether the tumor has grown. Of course, neither Jake or I are 100% comfortable with just "chilling" with a tumor in my brain (however "benign" it might be), and neither was my doctor, so we were scheduled to see a neurologist the next day at St. Luke's.

On Wednesday, we went to see the neurologist to get his opinion on my MRI scans. The appointment took a long time, but when I finally did see a doctor, his instant opinion was that the tumor had caused a seizure (which caused me to lose consiousness on Tuesday), and the seizure had caused brain swelling. He said the tumor needed to be removed, without a doubt (he also said that the radiologist who reviewed my MRI scans originally would be getting a call from him, uh oh). Then he told me that I would be admitted into the hospital that day, meaning I wouldn't even get to go home. They wanted to get me in right away to do an EKG, EEG, and angiogram. The EKG was fine (I think, because I never heard anything back on it), the EEG was mostly fine, but they did see some "activity" that assured them that a seizure had at least occurred, and the angio confirmed the suspicion that there are blood vessels connecting to the tumor that need to be blocked before surgery (to prevent stroke and / or excessive bleeding during surgery). So, on Tuesday of next week, I'll be admitted to have the procedure that will block the vessels and I'll stay in the hospital until Wed, when I'll have brain surgery. I'll be in the hospital anywhere from Tue-Fri or Sun. Not sure on that yet. I'm not allowed to drive for 3 months, which is devastating because I think it feels like something has been taken away from me.

While at home (and thank God I get these few days to be at home to relax, sleep in my own bed, and snuggle all of the love out of my baby girl), I'm on a boat load of drugs that are keeping me safe while I'm not plugged into all of the high tech gadgets in the ICU (steroids, anti-seizure meds and meds that are supposed to prevent ulcers or something).

Jake has been amazing. He is taking care of making all the phone calls that need to be made, setting up Layla care, drivers, etc. I am so thankful for that. He's also helping me focus on the now, rather than the future (meaning, focus on getting through next week instead of the "how will we do this?" and "what if that?").

Thank you to everyone for all of your phone calls, texts, emails, visits and good energy vibes and prayers. Thanks so much for all of the care packages and food too! I feel so amazingly blessed to have such a wonderful network of family and friends in my life.

Lots of love and smiles,
April (aka: "Lumpy Brain")

8 comments:

Jen Sturm said...

Hey April. What a stressful time for you and your family. Please call me or have Jaimie call me if I can help out in any way. I would be more than happy to take Layla or be her driver from here to there... whatever you need. It sounds like you have great family and friends! Take care of yourself Lumpy! I will be lighting a candle for you next week and saying those prayers!

Deanna said...

Dear Lumpy,

How are the drugs this evening? You are so funny without drugs, I can't imagine the one liners you are throwing out while on the meds!

Seriously though...I was disturbed (to say the least) to hear about your medical issue. I am soooo grateful it is benign!

My goodness, girl! I'm kind of glad you passed out at home and went to the doc and discovered the little bugger, so you can detour those blood vessels and remove that tumor.

You've got too much going on in that amazing brain of yours...you really don't have ROOM for a tumor! ...hence the swelling. Just call me Miss Dee, M.D. ;)

No driving?...that is going to stink to high heaven...I gotta say. Makes me want to drive to WI and drive you around during the three months. Perhaps it will be a good thing...SLOW DOWN!

I will be praying for you this week. Everything is going to be fine. You will come through like a trooper. Don't forget a good pillow and someone is going to have to smuggle in some good food for you!

I'm sending you big hugs and smiles and healing energy.

Roemer said...

Hey Sherman girl...okay it finally hit me tonight that this is for real. Hearing you explain the whole story..even though I knew it cause I've been your stalker for the last week..I lost it..then seeing your picture with the three of youguys...uhhh..I HATE THAT DAMN THING IN YOUR HEAD...!!!I want to go back to coffee chats and drinking and bitching about everything..okay after recovery we have a date...I love ya girl and today in church Peyton turned to me and said "Mom are we going to Pray for April" I said "of course we are"..we all love you...be strong...as you always are...

The Roemer Mom

April said...

Thanks so much Jen! I will be in touch and will likely take you up on offers to help w/ Layla after next week. We just have to get through the big stuff and then we'll start focussing on the recovery period.
Dee... Love you girl. Thanks for the message and laughs. I appreciate that sense of humor of yours more than you know!
Jenny, damn girl. You always make me cry. And I thought that the day you guys moved was gonna be the saddest time in our Roemer / Sherman family friendship. Shit!
Don't worry ladies. I'm tough. I am in good hands, and I am lucky. Walking, talking and enjoying the love of my fam and friends. This will all be over soon, and when it is, I'll have a sweet hair cut. ;)

Tee said...

Jesus Jenny....I did ok through April's post, but started bawling when I read your comment. I hate that thing too!! But they're going to get it out and April will be better off without that thing!! I can't wait until we're sipping fruity drinks on the beaches of Tybee Island thinking, "Jesus that was scary, but I'm so glad it's over and April's ok"! Love you guys!!! Sending all the love, prayers and good vibes we can from the West side of WI!!

Z said...

Hi Apes, Jake, and the cutest damn kid on my fridge full of kid pictures!

Jessie and I were sad to learn about the recent events and news. I also hate this thing in your head. However, we all know what it up against. Stay as strong as we all know you are, and you will be just fine. You got a great guy there taking care of everything, but if there is anything at all that I can do, you know Z will drop everything and be there. Just let me know. We love you guys and will be thinking of and praying for you constantly.


ps. I drop shipped you that bike helmet I've been wanting to get you since the days of the Purple House! :)

Carmen Olejnik said...

Hi April,
I have been thinking about you and your family so much since I heard all that is happening. I am so sorry you are going through this. It sounds like you have an incredible group of family and friends supporting you and ready to help you out during your recovery. Please include me in that group. I would be happy to help with Layla or grocery shop or drive you where you need to go. Stay strong and positive and know that I will be praying for you.
Carmen

Anonymous said...

Thanks :)
--
http://www.miriadafilms.ru/ приобрести кино
для сайта theshermanlife.blogspot.com