Friday, September 26, 2008

Layla's First Shiner


The pictures don't really do it justice. This was day one (last Sunday) of Beepa's first "shiner". She took a pretty nice digger while she was "helping" me clean the fridge (she stands inside the door and pulls all the plastic salad dressing bottles off the shelf and hands them to me, or slams them on the floor). Her sock hit a slippery spot on the floor and she went down, face first into the bottom shelf of the fridge. She didn't really cry all that much, and as soon as I said, "You're okay, let's get back to work," she was fine. Funny how babies look to mama and papa for how they're going to react.

By Monday a.m., her shiner was pretty bad. Her eye was almost swollen shut and I was concerned daycare was going to call social services. ;) Luckily, they didn't and weren't surprised to see her w/her first battle wound since she's so close to walking.

The rest of this week has been spent prying both of her eyes open so that we can put drops in that help keep the pink eye away that she had last week and help w/the infection that I think she's been passing from one eye to the other on a daily basis. For this entire week she's looked like a UFC cage fighter.

On a separate note, I thought I'd give you an update on my last post, "Zen". I think I may have found him. At the Organic Market in good 'ol Slinger, WI. I stopped there (and have always wanted to but just never took the time) on Thurs after work. I spoke with a Naturopathic doctor while I was there about all kinds of homeopathic remedies for sick babies. I walked out of there w/ some infant multi vitamins, Dophilus powder (to put the good bacteria back into Layla's system that all the antibiotics she's been on have destroyed) and some ear drops for her ear infection that she's developed (grape fruit seed extract is the active ingredient). Call me a hippy or a witch doctor, I don't care. I'm desperate, and with my recent transition to all things natural with all of our cleaning products (Melaluca, thanks for introducing me Jaim), I figure why wouldn't I take a holistic / organic approach to medicine in addition to our recent conversion to all natural cleaning products?

Layla has had almost two full days worth of the ear drops and is doing great. No pain, just some oozing from her ear, which is normal w/the tubes and means the infection is draining. I'm super excited about this market I've found and think I'll be a regular customer going forward. I only wish I'd stopped sooner!!

Also, wanted to be sure that none of you think I'd ever just up and dissappear to CA, leaving my family behind to wonder when / if I'd be back. I think Jake was a little worried. ;) Instead, my dear friend Theresa has invited me for a visit next weekend. So in a matter of days we've planned the trip and I'll be flying up to Minneapolis next weekend. Just me! Holy canolis... Just me, for an entire weekend. I haven't been away from Layla for more than one night since she was born. I know she's going to have a blast with daddy for the weekend, as when I told her last night she got this look on her fact like, "Dude. Thank God. It's about time your got your neurotic ass out of here."

Peace, love and zen.

7 comments:

The Schultz's said...

Glad you found a way to treat Layla!! I've always been one, as you know, to support the natural way of healing. taking crazy meds with all sorts of side affects seems silly in today's day and age. Glad you found your 'Zen House' in Slinger.

miss you and thinking of you tons!!

Anonymous said...

http://www.sportsbubbler.com/multimedia/Audio/Brewers/092808_Wrap.mp3

I need to share this for all its glory...Go Crew!!!!

Sorry about the shiner Layla

Sherm

Anonymous said...

http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?mid=200809283567025


Sorry here's another one...

Sherm

Anonymous said...

Hey Sherm...

Go Cubs!

g

Anonymous said...

Hey Sherm. Get your own blog. Don't waste this space.

The Sherman's said...

hey! who wrote that sassy ass message to my brother in law!? he has permission to do whatever the hell he wants on this blog. Gobbz! ;)

Anonymous said...

it wasnt me, but I gotta admit, I sure thought it was funny!

g