Monday, November 10, 2008

10th Anniversary of my 21st Birthday

Yesterday was the 10th Anniversary of my 21st Birthday. ;) Big day! In fact, it was by far the best birthday of my life. Not because of some grand party, or cake or presents. Not because of anything like that. This weekend was Jake's very last drill with the Army. No more weekends of him being gone for absolutely no reason at all, to stand in a line and take useless orders that really just send him walking in circles for 10 -12 hours a day. Besides having a full weekend back for family time every month, we're also blessed with knowing that we do not have to worry about the possibility of another deployment. That thought alone is enough to send both Jake and I sailing into heaven with happiness.

On Friday night, Jake went to drill and was told that he was free to go and wouldn't have to come back for Saturday or Sunday's drill times. He was thanked for his service and commitment to the Army and sent on his way with a blessing to enjoy his life as a civilian. Very final and very comforting. What an AWESOME birthday present.

To celebrate the weekend events, Jake and I got a surprise visit from his parents. They hand delivered my birthday gift on Saturday, an awesome t-light candle holder / wall hanging thingie (okay, I don't know what to call it really but it's super cool and I saw it in a boutique up in Crivitz the last time I was there and told Jake's mom how much I loved it). How sweet of them to make the trip down to say happy birthday, deliver the gift and bring us lunch! Love you guys!!

Saturday night Jake and I had our friend and neighbor, Jenny, over to partake in some celebratory wine drinking. Good times had by all, that's for sure! Sunday Jake went hunting for a bit and our other friend and neighbor (we have awesome neighbors), Lori, took Layla bean for a while so I could make dinner for Jake and I (I made steak for Jake, fish for me, but seriously, aren't you proud!? I made steak!). Then Jake and I were able to have a quiet dinner alone. Which, I must say, was super odd. We both kept looking around as if we had lost something. We were set to pick up Beepa at 8:00 and by 7:45, I looked at Jake and said, "Okay, can we go get her now? I miss her."

This weekend Jake and I will be heading to Vino 100 for some wine and to the Ale House for dinner to have a formal Bday celebration. Should be a hoot. I just said "hoot". Yep, I'm 31 for sure. I'm old.

So, all in all, a super awesome 31st birthday.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

glad to hear you had a great day! We'll celebrate soon enough, since I got two bottles of wine that I wont be touchin...

love ya!

gobbz

The Schultz's said...

Awesome weekend you had ~ Good for you guys!! I am soo happy to hear Jake is on his way to army retirement. It's an awesome feeling!! Enjoy your week and upcomin weekend. Have a 'hoot' you old goat - he,hee,he,he... just kidding!! :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!! What "day" was it? I can't believe I don't have it written down in my spreadsheet!!! Seriously! I need the date (email me) so I can add you in and get you a card next year. Bad friend. Bad bad friend. I'm so sorry!!

The Sherman's said...

11/9 was the actual "day". But, if it makes you feel any better, I celebrate birthday weeks as well, so, we could call this my bday week and then you don't have to sweat yourself! i take happy bday wishes up until 7 days after my actual bday. once the 7 day deadline hits, i no longer take bday wishes, just cash bribes for letting it go that you may have forgotten. :)