Thursday, November 6, 2008

14 Months Old

Layla Bean,

You're 14 months old today. One year and two months. 60 weeks (I think). Our little baby isn't such a little baby anymore. Last night, I came home from work to you "little" Layla, standing in the living room, looking more like a little girl than ever before. You are getting so tall, and are really developing a funny personality. You do all that you can to make us laugh, and, when we are laughing at something totally unrelated to you, you start laughing with us, thinking that there couldn't possibly be anything else in this world that would invoke laughing besides you. I understand that feeling. ;)

You are still a little reluctant to go full go with the walking thing. I remember back in August I took you to visit the Schultz's, and Jaimie asked me when I thought you'd start walking. Maybe I jinxed it, because I just didn't think you'd be ready for a while and I told her, "Probably not until she's 15 months old." I think Jaimie was surprised to hear that, but here we are, on your 14 month bday, and since that first video we snapped of you taking your very first four wobbly steps, you've decided that taking more than 1 step at a time is just too much to handle. You can scale the couch and walls like nobody's business, and you stand at attention for as long as your legs will let you. But as far as walking on a normal basis goes... not so much. You'll do it on your own terms, when you're good and ready. That's just fine with us beepa bee.

You've become quite independent in the recent months and do not like to have anyone "help" you out with anything. You'd much rather feed yourself, fill up your own bath, and "fold" your own clothes. You're making some solid attempts at using forks and spoons, but it's a messy attempt, that's for sure. We recently discovered that you may have a slight fear of the dark, and finally put a night light in your room last night. So far, it seems to be comforting you. Daddy says that because it took us so long to figure out such a simple thing, that I get a free pass to kick him in his "nuggets" (you'll learn what nuggets are soon enough).

Every night, I give you your bath and we talk about your day. You seem to have more to tell me each night, which I love. My favorite thing in this world to do, is rock you to sleep. I stare at you and think about all the things you did or "said" that day that I'm thankful for. You make your daddy and I so unbelievably happy, more and more happy each day we trot into your room to see your smiling face.


Love you little beepa.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

awww... sweet! isn't it hard to imagine your life without her now? we all need our breaks from mommy-hood, but you know what i mean...

The Schultz's said...

She is gettin sooo big!!! And before you know it, she will be walking like a drunken soldier :)