Monday, January 25, 2010

Not a baby anymore

Today, Layla made the big step and moved from the "Seedling Center" at daycare (for newborns up to age 2-3, depending on when the child is fully potty trained and developmentally ready to take the next step in learning) to the church (where kids ages 2-3 up to age 4-5 go). I couldn't believe how nervous I was, and how excited Layla was. She's been talking about going up to the "chooch" for some time now (I get the feeling they really talk it up down at the Seedling Center to help ease any anxieties the kids might have about the move).

When we got to the church, I let Layla walk in ahead of me and she lead the way. We were shown to her new locker and her new room. She instantly found a friend of hers that used to be in the Seedling Center with her (Alyssa) and the two of them were off and running. There were no hesitations on Layla's part, no shyness, no clinging, no crying. She walked around the big giant room that was filled with kids of all ages (all kids gather together in the morning in a common area to eat breakfast, then break off into their designated classrooms) and wasn't phased in the least. A few of the older kids commented on her glasses and I went into full on mama bear mode, protecting my cub and explaining the glasses to the older kids. I think I was worried they were going to make fun of her, but of course, they were just curious as no one else in the school has glasses.

When I got Layla settled, I said to her, "Okay honey. Are you all set?" I think she thought I meant that I wanted her to come with me and leave, so she said, "No mommy. I not go with you in da car. I stay here." Awe. I know baby. I'm proud of you. I didn't even get a kiss when I left - I got a high five!!

I'm so proud of our little Layla, but at the same time am a little in shock and sad that this day has come. She's 2 years and 4 months old. This is one of many milestones in her life and I cannot believe how hard it is! After dropping her off, I got in my car, took a few deep breaths and tried to give myself a pep talk. "No crying, April. You have a big day at work. Lots of meetings and presentations. You need to shake this off and pull up your boot straps."

I wasn't even out of the parking lot when the tears started rolling.

3 comments:

Tee said...

Awe Apes, this is a beautiful post! Bitter sweet might be the best description. You're doing such a great job with Layla and it shows by how confident and independent she is! Hope the rest of the day went well! Great new look to the blog by the way! Love ya, Tee

April said...

Thx Tee!! I'm happy to know that she's so confident already and am looking forward to seeing her grow and experience all that life has to offer! She starts dance class next week Tuesday! She'll be in the "Twinkle Stars" class, learning mostly jazz and "funk" routines, and they'll have a recital in May! Seriously!?!?! How crazy is that!?!?

Anonymous said...

wuss.

love g