Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Beauty Shop

Recently, a co-worker of mine who keeps up with my blog mentioned that she read the post about me giving Layla a hair cut. She said she noticed that in my post, I said that Layla's hair just won't grow. She then told me that she thinks perhaps Layla has what her granddaughter has, which is Loose Anagen Syndrome. The short and skinny - most common in blond haired, blue eyed girls, and starts around the age of two. It's nothing devastating, but it prevents the hair from growing past the nape of the neck. I read up on it, and see that many of the symptoms or characteristics are ones that Layla has. Thin hair, a little "nappy", grows more on top than in the back or nape of neck area. And there's really no "cure" or way around it. It made me a bit sad, because as all you girly girls know, every little girl loves to do fancy fun things with their hair. I just pictured my little girl asking my why her hair wouldn't grow and why she couldn't have a long flowing pony tail like the rest of her friends and wanted to cry. Then, I pulled up my boot straps and sucked it up, realizing that if this is in fact something that Layla has, then so be it. It could be FAR worse and there are plenty of fun adorable things that can be done w/ short locks.

So, I went home and played "beauty shop" with Layla the next day. We did all kinds of fun things with her hair that day, and all weekend long (wait for the next post to see more hair shots). Here are a few of the fun ones we took.

In the mean time, I think I'm going to get a real hair cut (not one that I do haphazardly in our kitchen) for Layla, to see if that might stimulate her hair to grow. If it doesn't, I'll take her to the dermatologist to see if she in fact has LAS. And if she does, that's okay. At least we'll know and won't be mystified by it anymore. :)

After a "beauty shop" session with mommy. I used a curling iron on her hair for the first time and LOTS of product. Can you tell?? ;)
Deep thoughts.

Don't worry about what I have in my hands. Just mind your bizniss.



Cheeeeese!!!!


3 comments:

The Schultz's said...

Awww.. her hair is great!!! You know, some children are just slower to grow hair. I have one niece in particular that is still working on growing their hair... Plus, look at Mason! I think Layla will be just fine and either way (short hair or long hair) she's gorgeous!!

ol'huntin'dog said...

Good news!! Uncle "hot-hair" had very thin hair when he was young, and we kept it long so it looked like he had some. Look at him now. This to shall pass.

April said...

Thanks Jaimie! Thanks to you as well, ol'huntin' dog! If Layla inherits the thick hair that the Sherman men have, she'll be one lucky girl!