Wednesday, March 19, 2008

5 years ago today...

5 years ago today marked the official beginning of Operation Iraqi Freedom. Does it really feel like it's been 5 years since that day? I remember watching it all on the news. I was in Arizona with my family and Jake was away at training for the Army. At that point, I think he'd already been gone for at least two months and was expected to return home soon. I remember panicking because I thought that they would deploy him immediately from training and ship him overseas. He reassured me that no, he'd be home soon. And he was. He wasn't deployed until August of 2005.

So much has happened for us over the past 5 years... a war started, Jake and I were engaged, married, bought a house, got a dog, went through a deployment and had a baby... just to name a few big life events. ;)

I won't get too political with this post, as I am well aware that our fellow blog fans fall on both ends of the spectrum on this topic. Some of you feel strongly about staying where we're at in this "war", others feel that we need to bail and get out, as there's nothing we can really do when religion is involved. Maybe I should leave this post to Jake, or, someone who's been in his shoes. Seen what he's seen. Those of us that haven't been there or "done that" can't cast stones.

As the selfish military wife, who's still suffering from PTSD after the deployment, and who's husband is still in the military, I will say that I just want this war to be over. But I realize there are families in Iraq that sure don't want to see the American soldiers leave them to "fend for themselves" either...

Only time will tell, I guess. Time and the 2008 elections... although I know the elections aren't going to provide a simple, overnight answer or solution to all of this.

Such is life... and religion... and politics... and war.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that was deep...

~gobbz