Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Happy 4th of July!!

It's the 4th of July, already?? I can't believe it. Last year at this time Jake had already been gone on deployment for eleven months, and was still four months away from being home. Jake says last year's 4th of July feels like it was years and years ago. I feel like it was yesterday. I spent the day and night with Jaimie, the one I call "my wife." Her husband Jason was deployed with Jake and we were each other's rocks through the entire deployment. I don't think one week went by over the deployment that we didn't see each other at least once. We share a special bond now that no one will ever quite fully understand but that I will be forever grateful for.

Today doesn't really seem like the 4th of July...maybe because it's rainy and gross outside. Jake's already chipping away at the basement with his helper, Hudson (who helps by walking around his feet, bringing him clothes and hiding bones in the basement). I am trying to sort through baby gifts and get motivated to write thank you notes. Theresa and Brian just sent us the moses basket we registered for. It's so cute. Hudson really wanted to check it out so I let him. I also let him walk in it, not thinking about the fact that in two moths there'll be a tiny baby in it. Jake proved that he already has a fatherly instinct by yelling, "No! Don't let him crawl in there! Then he'll think he can do that when the baby's here and he'll squish him/her!" Ooops.

Happy 4th of July to everyone!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A dog that can land navigate and remodel a basement! That's amazing. Let's hope he can babysit too so you don't have to worry about daycare. Maybe you could even teach him to cook...

The Sherman's said...

ah yes. we've already talked w/him a bit about being the sole daycare provider. he says he's mulling it over and will get back to us. he's just a bit concerned that it will conflict w/ his gopher and bird hunting schedule. we shall see. ;)